» Wills, Trusts & Probate

Leaving Your Home to Your Children

If you want your children to own your home upon your death, there are several ways to accomplish this – including something called a “Lady Bird Deed.” For example, you (or you and your spouse) can: Make a Will. In the will, you can sp… Read More
Read More

Estate Planning Made Simpler

Tax laws used to play a major role in estate planning. Nowadays, not so much. The reason: Congress has greatly increased the exemption for the Federal Estate Tax. Current Exemption Levels. Today, if you’re single, and your estate doesn’… Read More
Read More

Administering a Trust

If a family member has made a living trust part of his or her estate plan, you may be called upon to administer or manage the trust. This will happen if the trust names you as the Successor Trustee. Here are a few things you need to know: W… Read More
Read More

Funding Your Living Trust

A living trust can be a valuable part of your estate plan – but only if you properly transfer your assets into it. There are various ways to accomplish this, depending on the type of asset. Your Home. You (or you and your spouse, if you… Read More
Read More

Probating an Estate

When a family member dies, you may need to go through the probate process before distributing the deceased person’s property. This will be true, for example, if there’s a home solely in the deceased’s name, or a bank accou… Read More
Read More

Creating an Estate Plan

An estate plan can include several different documents, including those described here. Will. In your will, you state how you want your assets distributed after you die. You can also name a guardian and conservator to look after your minor… Read More
Read More

Recent Articles

Does a well supply water to your home? Does a septic system handle sewage disposal? In either case, before you sell, you’ll need to comply with Washtenaw County rules. The County Environmental Health Division enforces the rules. You’re… Read More
Do you know the steps in a typical lawsuit? If not, check out this outline. Complaint. The plaintiff (the person starting the lawsuit) files a Complaint with the Court Clerk stating what the case is about and the damages or other relief bei… Read More

For More Information